Thread: Event Surveys

Default Event Surveys

It seems that most RDs use free software, like Survey Monkey, to create race surveys to get feedback from their participants. Although the RDs seek valuable information in order to help them improve, I feel like most RDs don't create good enough surveys to get meaningful feedback.

I am currently exploring the idea of creating survey software specifically for the endurance sports community. It would consist of 10 standard questions that would be worth 10 points each, giving an overall total score of 100. The questions would cover things like the venue, aid stations, and overall perceived value. I believe that by having a standard system used by similar events, RDs can be able to objectively compare their event to other similar events and see where they succeed or fall short.

I would make the product free for RDs to use because their are plenty of others costs when organizing an event. How many RDs would be interested in something like this?
    Last edited by endurestrong; 04-07-2015 at 06:09 PM.

I design surveys for a lot of different events. Because every event is unique and different, it's virtually impossible to "standardize" event surveys. Nor is there a way to benchmark events against one another ("We ranked better than x% of the events of the same distance..." etc.). Unless you totally drop the ball with planning or execution, you are likely to get a 94% to 99% approval rating on most events. The LEARNING that comes from post-race participant surveys is not in benchmarking them against other surveys and ratings. The learning comes from a) analyzing the comparative rankings of the various facets of your own event year-to-year and against one another and b) taking the time to read through the pages upon pages of open ended "suggestions for improvement" to hear the chorus and figure out what you can do to enhance your event in the future. I'm happy to talk more about this if you'd like to email me via director@fall50.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    b) taking the time to read through the pages upon pages of open ended "suggestions for improvement" to hear the chorus and figure out what you can do to enhance your event in the future.
    Definitely agree with this. Everyone tends to have a different way of saying the same thing, so you need to do a bit of reading between the lines to find that underlying theme. In some instances yes you could try to capture this in a survey rating style system, but it'd be difficult as I've found the wording of questions has a funny way of triggering people's memory, some people thought it was the finish line layout that backed things up, some people thing it was the food table was to small so things got crowded, or a million other ways to skin a cat.