Thread: Pull tag scoring system - anyone still using it?

Default Pull tag scoring system - anyone still using it?

I am trying to find out it anyone is still using the pull-tag timing system (tear off tags and chutes at the finish line) for timing and scoring events of any size. My theory is that the pull tag system is so labor intensive that anyone who might still use it could afford to use a transponder based system. What do folks use for their smallest events -- index cards or popsicle sticks? Are there any events out there that are too small for chips (or clients who don't want to pony up fpr chips)? If so, how are they timed and scored these days?

I use cards printed with spaces to fill in for my club's small events, up to 150. My "other" club stuck it out with popsicle sticks till getting 300+ regularly, now uses pull tags.

All of these events have a very high proportion of preregistered.

These are for club events that don't have fund raising as a primary objective, and the races are operated largely by enthusiasts.

If planning a 5K expected to draw 200+, I would probably hire chip timing. I know a professional timer in the area who manual times a 600 person 10K.

The prevalence of chips is in a way unfortunate, because we get people to the small club races who have unreasonable expectations. No, the 35 person trail race is not chip timed, and the course ain't certified.

For the 200+ event, I would counsel, do your budget, and get the chips.

Quote Originally Posted by pstewart View Post
    I am trying to find out it anyone is still using the pull-tag timing system (tear off tags and chutes at the finish line) for timing and scoring events of any size. My theory is that the pull tag system is so labor intensive that anyone who might still use it could afford to use a transponder based system. What do folks use for their smallest events -- index cards or popsicle sticks? Are there any events out there that are too small for chips (or clients who don't want to pony up fpr chips)? If so, how are they timed and scored these days?

Many cross-country events are still timed with pull-tag systems. Plus, many clubs either hire a company for chip timing or do pull-tag timing themselves, because the cost + maintenance requirements of an RFID system are far beyond the reach of most clubs. For example - who is responsible for charging the equipment when it is not used between events? Who is responsible for learning the software to interface with the equipment? Are they paid? There are a hundred significant little details that are not mentioned here.