Thread: It's time to reset the alarm.

Default It's time to reset the alarm.

I received a call early this morning from a business associate telling me about the pipe bomb explosion in Seaside Park, New Jersey immediately preceding the beginning of a 5K event with a reported 5,000 runners. He contacted me because he knows that this is a class of business that I insure, and wanted to know if this was one of my clients. While the answer to his question was, "No;" events like this are soft targets and are difficult to protect. But they are more difficult to protect when race organizers for smaller events seem to put the safety of their participants at the bottom of their list of race day concerns.

I receive calls all the time from small events, when I ask them about safety and security protocols, it is typically met with silence on the other end of the phone. "Will you have medical support?" "No, but we have an ambulance on call." "Have you spoken with the local police department?" "No, they will only come if there is a problem." "Does the municipality, have any regulations that you need to follow?" "Uh, no, I don?t think so."

An on line article from Channel 4 in New York (NBC) I found it interesting that a "number of law enforcement agencies responded to the scene Saturday, but the FBI and U.S. Attorney's office will be the lead investigators in an effort to better coordinate the probe?" Where was the coordination before the event, what help did race management company have in preparing for safety and security, had the insurance broker for the race made any suggestions?

A race director told me recently, that the farther we get away from Boston, the harder it is to get events to be concerned about the life safety of their participants. While I don't know if this will be a wakeup call for race managers, I hope that they will reset their alarms and review their safety and security protocols.
    Last edited by Mikehi; 09-18-2016 at 12:26 AM.