Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sponsors and Cotton T-shirts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Perryman View Post
    The price of a tech tee at Race Trackers is about $3.00 more than for similarly printed long sleeve cotton tee...... That's a pretty big difference. I would have to charge more for the race, and am considering it.

I suppose we all tend to think about this stuff relative to our own environments. Normally, I try to be more broad about my responses but I was flat out yesterday as my day job got in the way, particularly since I was out half of last week at the excellent Race Race Managers meeting in Hollywood FL put on by our forum hosts.

The long sleeve tees that I've always used are the very expensive top brand colored (extra cost for the good non white) shirts which are not the journeyman shirts that most races give. The price difference for back and front printing wasn't $3 for me.
    Steve Moland
    Announcers on the Run
    info@steveontherun.com
    "It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Martini View Post
    You should consider selling them on Ebay or Craigslist due to the fact that a tech running hat is about $20-25 at a retail running store!
    There are three reasons I wouldn't do that.

1) order taking, pick, pack and ship is something I'm very familiar with professionally in both large and small scale. Onezies and twozies is a drudgery that gets old pretty fast. There are way better part time jobs. (in my opinion, but then one's talents influence possibilities.)

2) Though I wasn't clear as to the context, when I said:

"I now have enough mesh running hats for every month of the year."

I was referring to hats I've gotten at races. I run more races than most but even if other runners only get 2 or 3 hats (which is going to happen soon), who would "buy" a runner hat.

Who buys onezie or twozie tee shirts?

I have a reason to sell and buy stuff on ebay but unless the sale amount is over $25 and extremely easy to pack and ship, It is not worth being as married to the process as way too many people get. Ebay is a yard sale on steroids without the driving, assuming you don't count going to the post office.

Whatever you sell has to be something where you get zeros questions or life is hell. (Unless your business is selling answers)

3) Part of my day job is advising and working with small businesses (some in the race industry) in every capacity from sales, delivery to paying the taxes and any time there is an obvious screaming need for something that appears easy to fulfill, bells start to go off in my head as to why such "opportunity" is sitting there.

Few such opportunities are good ideas or even close to good ideas. There are some but most often they will only be profitable for someone who already has a bus going there with plenty of empty seats, in a manner of speaking.

Also, most opportunities that are spin offs of one's hobby fail way more often than the large number of business start up business failures in general. Objective judgment is hard to maintain around one's hobbies.
    Steve Moland
    Announcers on the Run
    info@steveontherun.com
    "It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." Harry S. Truman

Hi there! I hope I can shed some light, as I work for Racetrackers. We by far sell more tech shirts than cotton shirts. They are more popular, mostly because runners simply will run in them afterwards, and Race Directors (and sponsors) therefore get great advertising. I have even talked to runners that wear their tech shirts as regular shirts (for example, I recently met a customer that has worn his tech shirts underneath blazer jackets!) In terms of comfort, the tech shirts are much more breathable than a cotton shirt, and we know that comfort is the most important factor when a runner heads out the door. In terms of pricing, the difference in cost between our tech shirts and cotton shirts is less than $3...more closer to $2 if comparing a tech shirt to a colored cotton shirt. In addition, speaking personally as a former collegiate runner and someone that still races, I have 3 stacks of unused cotton shirts on my closet shelf, but I have made use of just about every tech shirt I have ever been given. I always find there is a certain level of excitement going to a race and getting either a tech shirt or a lightweight running cap. I love stuff I know I will use!

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to chat further!
    jennifer@racetrackers.com
    www.racetrackers.com

Racetrackers made the hat for the Boulder Marathon, I thought it was a solid product.

Target - ?Expect More, Pay Less?. As a chain of the discount store, Target offers customers apparel, accessories, toys, health and beauty products, electronics, home appliances and more at very affordable prices. With Target Coupons Online for 20 Entire Order & Target 20% OFF Code, let?s find anything you like.