Thread: Two-Way Radios

Default Two-Way Radios

Anyone have recommendations as far as best types of two-way radios for race staff? Looking to invest in a few of them. thanks.

There's Motorola and then there is everybody else.

Decisions regarding two-way radios depend on whether you are planning to use the radios for Course and/or Medical personnal as opposed to general Start/Finish Area personnel.

My advice is to keep these levels of communication separated. You don't want your Course Director and Lead Vehicle Coordinator being interrupted mid-race by your Food Tent Director calling out to the entire team because she can't find the spare box of foodservice gloves.

Following this advice, you probably only need a handful of personnel on Course Radios (e.g. Race Director, Course Director, Lead Vehicle Director, Medical Coordinator, and Course Corner Volunteer Coordinator). Since these radios need really broad coverage, you are probably better off RENTING higher-quality, long-range radios for the Course team.

Conversely, you are likely to need a LOT more radios for the Start/Finish personnel. In some cases, I've needed 30-40 radios for all the directors and laborers in this area. Since the coverage needs are much more limited, it makes sense to simply invest in cheaper, short-range radios like Motorola Talkabouts. These can be purchased in bundles of 2-3 for as low as $15 apiece.

Two final pieces of advice:

1) Purchase weather-proof labels and number each of your Start/Finish area radios individually. Then create a corresponding Check Out sheet for each day of the event. As the radios are handed out, write each team member's name next to the corresponding radio number. Tell them that they will be held responsible for returning it or replacing it. This results in some level of accountability. With college-age labor in particular, this will prevent your radios from ending up being in someone's cargo pocket stuffed under their bed for the next three months. (Sound like I've dealt with this? You bet.)

2) Purchase extra "hip clips" or belt clips that the radios clip onto. These are always manufactured cheaply out of plastic and are always breaking so you'll need extras lying around.
    Last edited by Sean Ryan; 08-06-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Thank you very much for the info. Much appreciated.

I tried some radio shack type radios last year ahead of the race. Our course is hilly so we had no success. I see someone made a comment about renting radios. Where would I go for this and how much would a rental cost approx.? Did it last year on cell phones, not really as efficient.