Thread: Road Race Themed Series

Default Road Race Themed Series

There has been quite a surge of start-up charity 5K's in our area in the last few years. Aside from a few large area races tied to special holidays (Turkey Trots, Jingle Bell and another benefiting Catholic Charities) most of our 5k/10K events draw 150-450 runners/walkers from a limited area and pool of runners and walkers. These start-ups come and go. Problem is they don't watch the area race calendar and drop in on established dates. All this does is dilute an already limited market.

I have heard of themed race series where entrants can purchase or are awarded unique items from each event in the series which in turn encourages people to sign up for each event in the series in order to collect all the series bling. (I think there is a beer bottle opener series in the Cincinnati, OH area and another has unique medallions.) I am looking for contact information for anyone familiar with the ins and outs of getting such a series started and hurdles encountered along the way. I am looking for innovative awards people have used and how they were advertised. The events I am looking to link in the series currently average 275-350 participants and the goal is to increase field sizes by 50% or more. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by QcyRunner View Post
    There has been quite a surge of start-up charity 5K's in our area in the last few years. Aside from a few large area races tied to special holidays (Turkey Trots, Jingle Bell and another benefiting Catholic Charities) most of our 5k/10K events draw 150-450 runners/walkers from a limited area and pool of runners and walkers. These start-ups come and go. Problem is they don't watch the area race calendar and drop in on established dates. All this does is dilute an already limited market.

I have heard of themed race series where entrants can purchase or are awarded unique items from each event in the series which in turn encourages people to sign up for each event in the series in order to collect all the series bling. (I think there is a beer bottle opener series in the Cincinnati, OH area and another has unique medallions.) I am looking for contact information for anyone familiar with the ins and outs of getting such a series started and hurdles encountered along the way. I am looking for innovative awards people have used and how they were advertised. The events I am looking to link in the series currently average 275-350 participants and the goal is to increase field sizes by 50% or more. Help!
    This is a marketing problem, not an event problem imho. You've identified your problem, that's the hard part for most people. If you can do that - you can figure out a way to address it. What you need to figure out is what you want your marketing hook to be. Beer? Great. Medals, fine. Cash? Otherwise, this is no different than any other event. Good luck.